Friday, August 17, 2012

BE STILL





I get lots of devotionals via email. I get so many I often times don’t have time to read half of them. But Sometimes I’ll sit down with my bible and go through several in an evening. They really help pull things together for me.

The last few days I feel like a bunch of the devotionals are all pointing at the same thing. I wonder if that is meant as a sign.

It is all about the importance of being STILL.

“Be Still and Know that I am God” Psalm 46: 10 a

“Quiet! Be Still!” Mark 4:39

Acts 17:28 – “For in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said. For we are also His Offspring.”

“The Lord will fight for you, you need only be Still.” Exodus 14:14

They keep connecting for me. Awesome.

Being still is NOT something I am good at. My life goes 100 miles per hour all the time. With the kids. The Husband. The Job. The Family. It’s NON-STOP. And still feels like I have not near enough time in the day.

My life is also NOISY. Kids. Cars. TV. Pets. Music. Traffic. Work. It’s just NOISE all day everyday. I’m SO accustomed to noise that I have to sleep with a noisy fan to be able to even fall asleep!

Tonight I sit here with my bible study journal and my bible open again. I’m trying to BE STILL and LISTEN. But I hear the keys clicking away, the AC humming loudly, bugs buzzing outside, the neighbors car door shutting, the TV Gavin is watching, Gavin picking his toenails, the AC upstairs humming, the dog scuffling something around on the floor, the other dog chewing on something, dog nails clicking on the wood floor. Just Noise. EVERYWHERE. It’s the low buzz of life. I need to learn to tune out life and LISTEN to GOD. He must be whispering low because it’s hard to hear him.

"Be still."

When I slow my soul to STILL and LISTEN, God will show you what you need to see. I can’t be so busy that I can’t see what’s right in front of me. I can’t be so busy that I forget to dust off my heart and soul and get down and CLEAN with God.

"It's Your kindness that leads me to repentance, oh Lord." (Romans 2:4)

Excerpt from one of the devotionals:

When I slow to still and know that He is God, I am face to face with His holiness. In light of His holiness, my wretchedness is revealed. His love and kindness brings revelation that causes my heart to ache for restoration. So I confess. I confess my mess. My heart dirt. And His mercy runs. Before the confessions leave my tongue, the blades of my heart are sparkling. Wiped clean with the righteousness of Grace. Beautiful, far-reaching grace.

"For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to give strong support to those whose heart is blameless toward him" (2 Chronicles 16:9, ESV).
This grace is for every one of us -- and it begins and ends with Jesus Christ. It's for me. It's for you. Whether you are at work, at home, at the hospital or in a jail cell. He's whispering, "Be still." Whether you are struggling with life strains or are in a season of reprieve. "Be still." Whether you have a house full of crazy noise or an apartment filled with ordered quiet. "Be still." Whether the diagnosis is cancer, the sting of betrayal is fresh, the Hope you cling to resounds, or you are weary and unsettled. "Be still." Know that He is God. Know that He is good. He is in control. He loves you. He is able. He is holy. He is worthy. Oh, so worthy.

Then, in the stillness -- respond.
O Lord, you have examined my heart
and know everything about me.
You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I'm far away.
You see me when I travel
and when I rest at home.
You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say
even before I say it, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to understand!
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

(Psalm 139:1-6, 23-24, NLT)

No comments: